Built in 1875, this set of buildings originally provided Bangor with filtered water from the Penobscot River and was later converted for hydroelectric power generation. The facility had been vacant since 1965.
Shaw House Development, Inc. adapted this historic complex to 35 residential efficiency units for low-income and homeless adults. WBRC worked closely with Shaw House, and state and local historic preservation offices, to develop cost effective renovation solutions that maintained National Register eligibility for the complex.
The renovated apartment complex, which is staffed 24-hours a day, includes a community room, laundry room, and space for onsite case management staff. Each efficiency apartment includes an open living space, bathroom, and kitchen area.