The Cross Insurance Center is an economic and cultural game changer for central, northern, and mid-coast Maine. In addition to hosting upwards of 100 concerts and conventions each year, the 5,800-seat facility is home to University of Maine’s men’s and women’s basketball teams. Designed by national arena expert Sink Comb Dethlefs, WBRC provided design, permitting, and construction administration services, as well as landscape architecture, civil engineering, environmental permitting, fire protection engineering, and plumbing for this award-winning project.
Located just minutes from Bangor International Airport and adjacent to indoor parking and I-95, the state-of-the-art Cross Insurance Center can host up to 2,000 convention guests with an 8,000 seat arena and room for 260 exhibit booths.
The $65 million facility includes 8,050 fixed stadium seats, 8,500 concert seating capacity, 85’ x 200’ hockey-rink-sized floor, and over 26,000 SF of event center space in the center’s ball room and meeting rooms. An outdoor park, guarded by Paul Bunyan, provides outdoor event space, with indoor parking available across the street.
- 18 meeting rooms in various configurations
- Room for 1,750 people banquet style seating in the arena
- Room for 1,100 people banquet style seating in the ballroom
- 4,500 sq. ft. of flexible pre-function space
- Flexible floor plans accommodate 30 to 1,200 classroom style and 50 to 1,650 theatre style.
- Exhibition space can accommodate 185 10’ x 10’ trade show booths in the arena and 75 more in the ballroom.
- In-house, full-service kitchen
- Located close to a range of local accommodation & dining options
- Wi-Fi throughout building
- All-weather loading and staging area
- Adjacent park offers outdoor space for breaks and programming
- Accessible throughout
Site improvements designed by WBRC included on-site parking, drives/circulation areas, on site utilities, reconstruction of stormwater treatment measures, reconstruction of 2,500 LF of roads and grinding/overlay of 3,000 LF of roads.
The Maine Basketball Hall of Fame, also designed by WBRC, honors players and other contributors to the sport from its new permanent home on the second floor of the Cross Insurance Center. Located on the second floor. The Maine Basketball Hall of Fame displays include a historic mural with timeline, artifacts, photographs, memorabilia, and a growing list of Hall of Fame Inductees.